– to make adverbs we usually add -ly
eg. strange —> strangely
– when an adjective ends in ‘y’ it changes to an ‘i’ before adding -ly
eg. happy —> happily
– when an adjective ends in -ic we add -ally
eg. heroic —> heroically
– some adverbs are not made by adding -ly
eg. late —> late, good —> well,
– some adverbs have two forms and have a difference in meaning
eg. late = not on time; lately = recently
hard = opposite of soft; hardly = very little
fine = good/well; finely = in small pieces
– after verbs such as taste, smell, sound, seem and appear, we use an adjective instead of an adverb.
eg. That sounds great. NOT That sounds well.